A very large and substantial Gilt, Late 19th Century Tent/Bag Chandelier.

The Chandelier has been removed from the Clermont Estate in Threxton, that was created by the Irish peer William Henry Fortescue (1722–1806), Earl of Clermont, friend of the Prince of Wales. He built Clermont Originally as a shooting house and it was extended for his nephew and heir William Charles Fortescue (1764–1829), the Viscount Clermont to designs by the architect William Pilkington. Pilkington was a pupil and assistant to Sir Robert Taylor (architect of the Bank of England).

Following Viscount Clermont's death Clermont Estate was sold to Sir Francis Lyttleton Holyoake Goodricke in 1844 and in 1858 it was purchased by the 2nd Duke of Wellington.

The Chandelier was housed in the dining room and has Ten lights to the main chamber with four additional branches, each holding a single light.

The whole metal frame is adorned in micro glass beads with large Octagon crystal beads throughout.

Gilding is in good order.

Diameter: 130cm

Huge French Gilt and Crystal Tent Bag Chandelier Late 19th Century Early 20th

£4,895.00Price

    Copyright 2020 Spencelayhs of Cambridgeshire no part of this website or images maybe used without written permission